Saturday, February 17, 2007

Horror/Thriller Revisited

In the, Oh no, not again! category, the horror/thriller controversy seems to have sprung up yet again. Please let me explain, one last time. The only reason I discussed horror on this blog was that I had an inspiration from reading an online article that stated that David Morrell and someone else, whose name I cannot recall, had started a thriller organization similar to the MWA. Mr. Morrell said something to the effect that he writes thrillers but his books always seem to end up in the mystery category. The article went on to say that Dean Koontz and others would prefer to have their work categorized as thrillers instead of horror because, again according to this article, horror was becoming a bad word—that practically no one wanted to be associated with horror anymore because of audience sensibilities. This makes sense with what I have been seeing. However, horror writers seem to be annoyed by this. You want to know what I think? When you, as a horror or thriller or whatever writer, sell a zillion copies of your book, then I will care what you think. If Dean Koontz or Stephen King calls me up to complain, I will retract my statements. Until then, I stand behind them, whatever they were. I can’t really remember now. It had something to do with horror.

3 comments:

tony mitchell said...

i have been under contract for the last year with the writers literary agency for one of my books. the contract just expired and i'm thinking of shopping it around before i redo my contract. i'm not
sure what genre it would fall under it's about vampires and other supernatural creatures but i wouldn't consider it horror. it's in the line of Laurell K. Hamilton, and others of her style. if you have any recomendations for agencys to contact it would be appreciated. my contact is twm333@hotmail.com
thanks.

Wylie Merrick Literary said...

Hi Tony,
According to many writer organizations, Writers Literary Agency is a scam organization. With that said, I'm surprised you didn't comment about that too.

As far finding agencies to contact, one of the best places to find agents/agencies who have recently sold projects in your genre would be to either subscribe to Publisher's Marketplace www.publishersmarketplace.com or, if you don't want to pay the fee to belong to this organization, find someone who is a member and ask them to help you.

Marketing books used to be of great help, but with markets the way they are these days, the information there is probably outdated before it's even published.

www.DuDeFoRDuDe.com said...

Hello, my name is Kentavio Ballard and I would like to make a comment. I find it very hard to find a good agent because i have searched and searched for an agent and keep getting turned down.what can i do?