Friday, September 11, 2009

Mineral Spirits Interview

Like the proud agent that I am, I just listened to an interview with Heather Sharfeddin, my client and author of Windless Summer, Blackbeller, Mineral Spirits, and Damaged Goods all published, or soon to be, by Random House. This interview was primarily about Windless Summer, which was released in June of this year, and sprinkled with a little bit about Blackbelly, to be released in July 2010.

Windless Summer is a literary novel that is actually readable without a PhD in literature. Its small time themes make one wonder if Heather is psychic, because many of the problems faced by the residents of Rocket, Oregon are being duplicated in many towns across our nation--loss of jobs, stagnant economy, business closures. . . . This book, however, as with all of Heather's novels, is so multifaceted that it's difficult to pinpoint a single area that you could say is the central theme. It contains a mystery, a couple of love stories and a strange the phenomena happening in Room Six.

Anyway, before I ruin it for those who would like to listen to Heather describe her novel, without further ado, here's the link to the audio file: http://tinyurl.com/l9azl8. Good listening from an extraordinary author and one to watch. Also, if you really want a treat, purchase this novel.

Robert




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great interview! A well-spoken author. She made me want to seek out the book and buy it, read it. Sounds like an intriguing story line with some deep thought or undercurrent behind it, plus some humor thrown in. I liked her reference to Kent Haruf, too. That told me a lot about her and her aim.

Anonymous said...

The word is psychic...I trust that was a spelling error.

The word is residents, not residence. How could you blow this one??

I will no longer be submitting my novel for review.

Wylie Merrick Literary said...

Thanks for bringing these corrections to my attention. I shall endeavor to copy-edit more closely. Please understand, however, that I possibly have a few moments here and there to post to this blog. I'm sure that if you wonder back through past posts you will find many more errors. We go more for content than making sure everything is exact and I have the same philosophy when it comes to manuscripts I receive.

If you're looking for someone who is perfect during your search for agents, editors or publishers, you are possibly thinking of entering the wrong profession. Fortunately, you will find only humans here. Sorry.

16/10/09 6:22 PM